Question from POPS member Tanisha George Daugherty
Our department had a change in leadership and is going through a huge restructure. We have lost 10 APPs in the last 18 months and are on the verge of losing another 5. Anyone who is willing to answer my questions is greatly appreciated. As not to overwhelm my fellow colleagues, I’ll just start with our top concerns.
1. How does your department utilize the APPs?
- APP teams with 1 or more MDs for clinic and/or OR coverage. If so, in clinic are the schedules shared or concurrent? Does MD see every patient APP evaluates? Do you travel with MD to all offsite/health center locations?
- APP practices independently? If so what, what type of patients are seen? Returns only or both new and return patients?
- Do APPs run specialty clinics? If yes, what types?
- Any other models/situations/scenarios you can comment on?
2. What are the APP schedules and hours? Weekdays only? 5- 8 hour shifts, 4-10 hour shifts, 3-12 hour shifts? Nights, weekends?
Thank you so much!